How to create a BOM?
Creating a detailed BOM can be time-consuming, but it can make your manufacturing process more efficient, so don't rush through it. Before building the BOM, answer the following questions
- What are you building? You should at least be in the design phase of your project to start preparing an accurate BOM.
- How will you manage the BOM? Establish a system for ensuring you are using the latest version. Allow only a few people to edit the BOM to avoid confusion.
- Who will use it? Determine which departments will use the BOM during production, so you know what information to include.
- What information will you include in the BOM? Make your BOM as detailed and complete as it needs to be.
- How will you organize it? Decide how many levels and sub-assemblies your document will have and how you'll group the items.
- What program will you use to create it? Many organizations prefer ERP solutions because edits are made system-wide, ensuring everyone has the latest version in real-time. An effective BOM includes a fail-proof system ensuring the newest version is always accessible.